4.10.2010

This wittle wabbit

Easter is over and, for me, that means two things:

1. The 4th (mostly annual) Peep-Eating Contest is so close I can almost taste my (soon-to-be) victory. That and those peeps. Each time I pass by the mighty tower of Just Born chicks assembled in my bedroom I find it increasingly difficult to resist devouring them all.

2. I am inundated with a surplus of milk chocolate.

The second state of affairs is actually a bit of a problem. What, you say? Why, you say? Well, I like to hoard things. And I also prefer dark chocolate. The result is that the (milk chocolate) Easter bunny I just received from my parents is going to join the (milk chocolate) Easter bunny I received from my parents last year. Yeah.

Well, my philosophy is that when there is an overabundance - of eggs or fruit or even milk chocolate - you  should make ice cream! Here is an excellent specimen:




Milk Chocolate Ice Cream
From The Perfect Scoop

Luckily, my Easter bunnies are composed of Lindt milk chocolate. I recommend you use a similarly good-quality milk chocolate. That is to say: this ice cream will probably taste like shit if you make it with those chocolate Easter bunnies on sale at Wal-Mart, for oh, 50 cents, right now.
8 ounces (230g) milk chocolate with at least 30 percent cocoa solids, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
a big pinch of salt
4 large egg yolks
2 tsp brandy or Cognac
3/4 cup (120g) cocoa nibs, optional
Combine the milk chocolate and cream in a large, heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until the chocolate is melted, then remove the bowl from the saucepan. Set it aside with a mesh strainer over the top.
Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan until it just starts to steam. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. If you have an instant-read thermometer this usually happens between 170 and 175 F. Pour the custard through the strainer into the milk chocolate mixture, add the brandy or Cognac, and mix together. Stir until cool over an ice bath.
Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. During the last few minutes of churning, add the cocoa nibs, if using.

 Makes about 1 quart (1 litre).

1 comment:

  1. I am upset that you still had your Easter bunny from last year! If you really don't like milk chocolate that much why didn't you just say so and I would have gotten to eat it on your behalf!

    ReplyDelete